Electrocoagulation (EC) ("electro", means to apply an electrical charge to water, and "coagulation", meaning the process of changing the particle surface charge, allowing suspended matter to form a floc) is an advanced and economical water treatment technology. It effectively removes suspended solids to sub-micrometer levels, breaks emulsions such as oil and grease, oxidizes and eradicates heavy metals from water without the use of filters or chemicals.
Electrocoagulation is a technique used for wastewater treatment and industrial processed water. Electrocoagulation has become a rapidly growing area of wastewater treatment due to its ability to remove contaminants that are generally more difficult to remove by filtration or chemical treatment systems, such as emulsified oil, total petroleum hydrocarbons, refractory organics, suspended solids, and heavy metals.
1. There is no issue of emulsion oil & grease causing the damage to the media filter, inturn reducing the maintanence cost.
2. Any size of Suspended solid can be handled without causing wear & tear of pressure washers.
3. There is no addition of expensive chemicals for using this technology.
4. EC requires no filters, no additives & is easy for maintanence.
1. EC requires simple equipment and is easy to operate with sufficient operational latitude to handle most problems encountered on running. Wastewater treated by EC gives clear, colorless and odorless water.
2. Sludge formed by EC tends to be readily settable and easy to de-water, compared to conventional sludge, because the metallic oxides/hydroxides have no residual charge.
3. Flocs formed by EC tends to be much larger, contains less bound water, is acid-resistant and more stable therefore, can be separated faster.
4. The EC process has the advantage of removing the smallest colloidal particles, because the applied electric field neutralizes any residual charge, thereby facilitating the coagulation.
5. The electrolytic processes in the EC cell are controlled electrically with no moving parts, thus requiring less maintenance.